COMMUNIQUÉ ISSUED AT THE END OF THE EXTRAORDINARY CONGRESS OF SPORTS WRITERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (SWAN), HELD ON WEDNESDAY, 7TH AUGUST, 2019 AT THE NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR SPORTS (NIS), AT MOSHOOD ABIOLA STADIUM, ABUJA
- SWAN National Extraordinary Congress congratulates the National Executive Council of SWAN and the state chapter chairman for ensuring that the proposed illegal amendment of SWAN Statutes did not take place instead an election committee was set up to organize free, fair and credible elections which has long been overdue.
- The Extraordinary congress also removes the National President of SWAN, Mr. Honour Sirawoo, on the ground that he is no longer a practicing Sports Journalist and has been on leave of absence since 1999 to 2019 since he was appointed as the Chief Press Secretary to the then Deputy Governor of Rivers State, Sir Gabriel Toby from 1999 to 2007 till date he has not resume journalism practice. SWAN STATUTE ARTICLE 22 (g) – REMOVAL OF OFFICERS: Where a National or State officer is promoted out of the Sports Department, the office shall complete his term but shall not have the right to seek re-election. Since 1999, Mr. Honour Sirawoo has been promoted out of Sports Desk and he has not returned since then to the Rivers State Television where he works.
- The three months extension that was given is to enable the Election Committee conduct a free, fair and credible election to usher in a new executive of SWAN at the National level.
- The National Congress also directs Mr. Honour Sirawoo to handover all SWAN properties in his care to the Deputy National President immediately. The items include finances belonging to SWAN; ashes-coloured 15-seater bus Toyota Bus donated by Nigeria pillar of sports Chief Donatus Agu Ejidike, brand new Toyota Prado Jeep and Toyota Hillux donated by SWAN Patron Governor of Rivers State, Ezenwo Nyesom Wike.
- The Extraordinary congress urges Members to stand and defend the noble Association from being destroyed by one individual in the person of Mr. Honour Sirawoo by not tolerating his impersonation and continued parading himself as SWAN President, Members should report such act to the Security Agencies immediately.
- The Extraordinary Congress also uses this medium to inform various State Governors to disregard any further request from him on behalf of SWAN.
- The General public should also take note.
- The National Extraordinary Congress of SWAN also directs the Election committee to apply only the rules and regulations is contained in SWAN statutes for the forthcoming election.
- The Acting National President, Said Umar and other members of National Executive Committee should give the Election Committee all the necessary support to enable it organize a successful election which is the only responsibility of the present National Executive Committee of SWAN.
ABDULLAHI USMAN BAYERO
Chairman, Communiqué Drafting Committee