Welcome to the Evening Standard’s live coverage of the latest news and rumours from the transfer window.
Time is running out for Premier League sides to make changes to their squad for the 2020-21 season, with just seven days remaining in the window.
So far, Chelsea have put the rest to shame with eight new additions while Tottenham have made a statement of intent of their own in re-signing Gareth Bale – with Sergio Reguilon also arriving from Real Madrid.
Champions Liverpool have bolstered in the form of Thiago Alcantara and Diogo Jota – but it remains quiet at Old Trafford where Manchester United’s sole signing has been Donny van de Beek.
Arsenal have also been busy, and are targeting Lyon captain Houssem Aouar in what could be a dramatic finish to the transfer window.
Watford have announced Roberto Pereyra has left the club to rejoin Udinese.
The 29-year-old handed in a transfer request after the club were relegated to the Championship and has now completed a move back to Udinese for a second spell.
MAN UTD NEWS
Lazio are moving closer to sealing the signing of Andreas Pereira from Manchester United, their sporting director has confirmed.
The Brazilian has found his first-team action limited following the arrival of Bruno Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon and the 24-year-old looks to be heading for the Old Trafford exit.
The Biancocelesti’s sporting director, Igli Tare, revealed the deal was all but finalised and should go through later this week.
“We expect Andreas Pereira deal to be completed on next 2/3 days with Man United.” Tare told
Marcos Alonso could be on his way out of Chelsea after head coach Frank Lampard read him the riot act following the 3-3 draw with West Brom.
The full-back was at fault for two of the three goals conceded in the first half at the Hawthorns and was hooked at the interval, with Cesar Azpilicueta coming on in his place.
The Athletic claim the Spaniard went to watch the second half on the team bus, rather than joining the substitutes’ bench, and incurred the wrath of Lampard in front his Chelsea colleagues.
Alonso, 30, has been linked with a move back to LaLiga and has also caught the eye of former boss Antonio Conte at Inter Milan.
Arsenal are continuing to monitor Amadou Diawara as a potential alternative to Thomas Partey, reports in Italy say.
Gunners boss Mikel Arteta is keen to add a central midfielder to his squad before the deadline closes on October 5 and has targeted Partey and Lyon’s Houssem Aouar.
Calciomercato report that the north London side are keen on Diawara, 23, although his club AS Roma’s asking price said to be too high at £27m.
Kylian Mbappe could be available to sign for just £91 million if he does not sign a new contract with Paris Saint-Germain.
The 21-year-old’s current deal expires in 2022 and it is believed the World Cup winner could seek a move away from the Parc des Princes.
Real Madrid are the frontrunners to sign Mbappe should he leave PSG but according to L’Equipe, Liverpool are in ‘constant contact’ over a potential deal for Mbappe.
At £91m, the French star may just be outside of the Reds’ spending bracket however, and that could give Real the advantage.
James Robson | Manchester correspondent
Man City have been monitoring Dias for more than two years – dating back to Vincent Kompany’s time at the club.
He was identified as a replacement for the legendary captain last summer when his release clause was £60million. He went on to sign a new deal, which increased that buyout to £80million.
With Nicolas Otamendi heading the opposite way for £13.7million, City are convinced it represents good value for what they consider to be one of the most promising talents in Europe.
Koulibaly had been a leading target, but City walked away when refusing to meet Napoli’s valuation of more than £70million for a 29-year-old.
It’s understood Kounde was considered more of a gamble than Dias, while they had no intention of meeting Atletico Madrid’s asking price of £78million for Gimenez.
MAN CITY NEWS
James Robson | Manchester correspondent
Manchester City will end their two-year pursuit of Ruben Dias after agreeing a club record £64.3million deal for the Benfica centre-back.
Pep Guardiola has won the race for the 23-year-old, who was previously a target for Manchester United, Arsenal and Juventus.
City’s manager turned to Dias after dropping interest in Kalidou Koulibaly, Jules Kounde and Jose Gimenez.
He overtakes £62.8m Rodri as the club’s most expensive signing ever – and takes Guardiola’s spending on centre backs during this window to more than £100m after the £41m arrival of Nathan Ake.
Fulham may be forced to abort plans to sign defender Marlon from Sassuolo after he reportedly failed a medical.
The Cottagers have agreed a deal worth £14.1m with 50 per cent of the fee going to Barcelona and the other half going to the Serie A outfit.
But according to The Athletic, the 25-year-old may not be moving to west London at all after some issues were found during his medical.
Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek could be offered a way out of the club with Aston Villa eyeing a loan deal.
The midfielder has struggled to rediscover the form he showed in the 2018/19 season, where he scored 10 goals in all competitions, following a serious Achilles injury.
The 24-year-old may seek regular football elsewhere as he continues his comeback and Sky Sports believe Villa, along with Southampton and West Ham, want to bring in the England international on a temporary deal.
Southampton are reportedly keen on a loan deal for Tottenham full-back Ryan Sessegnon.
The 20-year-old has barely featured under Jose Mourinho despite making a £25m move from Fulham in 2019.
According to The Telegraph, the South Coast outfit hold a long-standing interest in the England Under-21 international and are keen to offer the youngster some regular football.
Aubameyang reveals Arteta factor in stay
Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang has revealed the impact Mikel Arteta had on his decision to stay at Arsenal.
The Gabon international ended months of talk speculating his exit earlier in the month when he signed a new big-money three-year deal.
Two things persuaded me to stay,” he told Sky Sports. “The first thing was Mikel Arteta, because since he came in he brings a lot of positivity and a new philosophy for us.
“I think that was important because it matched my game and I feel that I can improve with him. I think this was the key factor and as well, the love that I receive from the fans and the whole club.”
Bournemouth eyeing Riquelme
Bournemouth are interested in signing Atletico Madrid forward Rodrigo Riquelme, according to Sky Sports.
Riquelme has made just one appearance for Atletico’s first-team, playing 21 times for their B team in Segunda Division B last season.
The winger has reportedly been training with Reading of late, who are also interested in the 20-year-old.
Lampard defends Kepa again
Frank Lampard has once again jumped to the defence of Kepa Arrizabalaga, insisting his playing time is not over just yet.
Lampard said: “I certainly will not go to the point of saying he has played his last game for Chelsea. It has been a difficult time for Kepa, that has been well documented.
“I know it and he knows it. But we should certainly not jump to that conclusion.
“Also, which I have felt quite strongly about in the last week, is also understand that Kepa is a young man. A lot of the spotlight on him has become slightly unfair. I have to protect him because I know he is a good lad and is playing with absolute professionalism and intent to do the best he can.”
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Baggies in Grant talks
West Brom are in talks to sign Karlan Grant from Huddersfield, according to Sky Sports.
The striker scored a highly impressive 19 goals in 43 Championship games for last season.
And West Brom are hoping the 23-year-old will join initially on loan, with an obligation to buy for £18million should they avoid Premier League relegation.
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
PSV sign Sangare
PSV Eindhoven have completed the signing of Ibrahim Sangre.
The 22-year-old had been heavily linked with a move to Southampton, who are looking to replace Pierre Emile-Hojbjerg.
Sangare was deemed an affordable choice following Toulouses’ relegation from Ligue 1 last season, but it will be Holland he heads, not the Premier Leauge.
Mendy, Chilwell in Chelsea squad vs Spurs
In some exciting news for Chelsea fans, Frank Lampard has confirmed both Edouard Mendy and Ben Chilwell will be in the squad for tomorrow’s Carabao Cup game at Spurs.
Chilwell has already made his debut from the bench in Chelsea’s 6-0 win over Barnsley in the previous round. He was absent from their squad that faced West Brom, however.
It will be the first time Mendy has made a Chelsea squad since completing his move form Rennes.
WEST HAM NEWS
West Ham to submit £15m Rodon bid
The talk of West Ham’s defensive recruitments continues!
The Hammers are set to submit a bid for Swansea defender Joe Rodon, according to Football Insider.
They have reportedly been given hope a deal can be reached and are, therefore, ready to table an offer.
Rodon, who has two years remaining on his deal, has played every minute of Swansea’s three league matches this season.
WEST HAM NEWS
West Ham eyeing Rudiger move
West Ham are interested in signing Chelsea centre-back Antonio Rudiger on loan, according to The Sun.
The defender has fallen down the pecking order following the incoming of Thiago Silva, left out of Chelsea’s matchday squad for their draw at West Brom on Saturday.
Rudiger is reportedly seeking a route out of the club, with West Ham turning their attention to the defender after missing out on Chris Smalling and Rob Holding.
MAN UTD NEWS
Man Utd leading race for wonderkid
Manchester United are leading the race to sign Rafaela wonderkid Alex Luna, according to AS.
The report claims the 16-year-old has received heavy interest from the Premier League, with Arsenal and Manchester City also linked.
However, it’s United who are the current frontrunners alongside AC Milan.
Spurs after Benteke?
Tottenham are weighing up a surprise move for Crystal Palace striker Christian Benteke, report Football Insider.
Jose Mourinho is desperate to bring in another striker to compete with Harry Kane.
Benteke has struggled for form of late, however, scoring two goals in 25 games last season, while failing to score in the one game he’s played this season.
Can’t see the Transfer news LIVE! blog? Click here to access our desktop page.
When does the 2020 summer transfer window close?
The window is now open for 10 weeks from July 27.
Following consultation with the EFL, a domestic-only window will be added from 5 October, closing 5pm on 16 October.
During this window, Premier League clubs will only be able to trade with EFL clubs (either loans or permanent registrations). No transfers can take place between Premier League clubs in this period.
papsonsports.com The home for trending sports news.